If you are a new incoming Yale University student, you will be requested to electronically submit a photo for use on your Yale University Student ID Card. The photo must meet the following requirements:
- White background
- Color photo (black and white photos will not be accepted)
- Full front view of your head and shoulders only
- Cropped from just above the top of head to collarbone
- Not retouched or otherwise enhanced
- Indoor lighting/no shadows
- No other people or objects in photo
- No hats, sunglasses or clothing that obscures the face
- The file must be in jpg, jpeg, pjpeg, bmp, png or gif format
- File size cannot exceed 5MB
This photo will be your permanent Yale ID card picture throughout your time at Yale. Please keep this in mind when selecting your photo.
The photo upload website will open for the incoming class in Spring. The deadline for uploading photos is June 30, 2023.
If a suitable photo is successfully submitted and approved by the deadline, your Student ID Card will be prepared prior to your arrival on campus and distributed by the Office of the Registrar during registration. Student ID Cards will not be distributed prior to the official start of your program.
If you are a new incoming student and did not submit a photo prior to your arrival on campus, please see your Registrar once your program has begun to obtain an Authorization to Issue ID Card. Bring this Authorization card to the ID Center along with a government-issued photo ID to obtain your Student ID Card.