For New (First-Term) Yale University Students Only
Yale University requires that all students be issued an official Yale photo identification card. You will need this card to gain access to residential colleges, dormitories, dining halls, libraries, recreational facilities and other University buildings and services.
In order to have your University ID card ready for you upon your arrival on campus, you will be requested to electronically submit a color passport photo. If a Passport Photo is not possible, you may submit a color snapshot showing a full front view of your head and shoulders. You will also have the option of mailing a photo in lieu of an electronic upload.
Please prepare your photo to match these requirements:
- Must have a white background.
- Must be in color (black and white photos will not be accepted.)
- Must be a full front view of your head and shoulders only.
- Cropped from just above the top of head to collarbone.
- Do not retouch or otherwise enhance or soften photo.
- The file must be in jpg, jpeg, pjpeg, bmp, png or gif format. Other formats will not be accepted.
- File size cannot exceed 5MB.
This photo will be your permanent Yale ID card picture throughout your time at Yale. Please keep this in mind when selecting your photo.
Please submit your photo as soon as possible but no later than May 31st.
If a suitable photo is successfully submitted and approved by the deadline, your Student ID Card will be prepared prior to your arrival on campus and distributed by the Office of the Registrar during registration. Student ID Cards will not be distributed prior to the official start of your program.
If you are a new incoming student and did not submit a photo prior to your arrival on campus, please see your Registrar once your program has begun to obtain an Authorization to Issue ID Card. Bring this Authorization card to the ID Center along with a government-issued photo ID to obtain your Student ID Card.