Can my spouse or same sex civil union partner obtain a Yale ID card if I am a Yale employee or student?

Yes. Spouses and same sex civil union partners of students and faculty/staff are eligible for a Yale University affiliate ID card.  While affiliate ID cards do not allow for building access, they can be used at the libraries, museums, gym (membership fee may apply), Yale transit and other venues throughout campus.

In order to obtain an affiliate ID, proof of marriage/civil union must be provided using one of the following forms of documentation:

  • Marriage certificate (in English)
  • Civil union document (only applies to same sex civil unions)
  • J2 VISA with passports containing both spouses’ name

In addition, the spouse/partner will need to provide the ID Center with one of the following forms of government-issued photo identification:

  • Passport (USA or International)
  • Driver’s License (USA only)
  • State Issued (Non-driver) ID
  • US Military ID
  • INS ID (Green Card)

Student Affiliates – In order to obtain a student affiliate ID, the student and spouse must first go to the student’s Registrar and present proof of marriage/civil union as indicated above.  Once the marriage/civil union is confirmed by the Registrar, the spouse will be given an “Authorization to Issue a Yale ID card”.  The spouse should then bring the authorization card to the ID Center along with their government-issued photo identification to obtain their affiliate ID card.